10 August, 2005

Stuck, Gimme the Short Version, Question of the Day, But I Haven't Said Yes to the Christmas Play Yet

Stuck
Usually I am pretty savvy about the meaning of songs. I listen to the lyrics, sometimes I even look them up and read them, and since I have been known to be aware of what is going on in celebrities' lives, I usually put two and two together and figure out what a given song is about.

Not so with Chariot by Gavin DeGraw. What is he talking about?

I do not get that song at all. Therefore I do not like it. What is he, Spartacus?

And yet they play it incessantly on the radio station I listen to (much like they did Drops of Jupiter by Train a couple of years ago, leading one woman to email the station and ask people to purchase the CD if they liked the damn song so much...) and now it is stuck in my head. DAMN THEM!

Gimme the Short Version
Bob and I used to work with this guy who was a great guy, but he was incapable of just telling you something. He had to tell you the whole story, incorporating every single minute detail until you just wanted to shake him! Our boss at the time was very impatient. He would take it as long as he could, and then he would yell, "Gimme the short version, Larry!"

That is how I felt in both meetings I had yesterday. In one, the chair was off on a tangent, ranting about the people who were not at the meeting. I finally said "Well, for those of us who are here, let's get some work done."

That changed his tune. I basically took over the meeting after that and we got some stuff done.

The second meeting was the Child Development Center Board at church. A bit more delicate. But 2 1/2 hours later, I just really wanted the short version.

Bottom line it, give me something to do, and send me on my way.

Question of the Day
Have you ever seen a toddler freak dance? I have. It's HI-larious.

You should come over and watch Meghan freak dance to the Judds and/or Hokey Pokey Elmo. Now THAT will make your day!

Molly used to do the Molly dance - everyone knew that anytime she heard music she was going to start doing her thang - and it was so cute! Now she thinks running around really fast in a circle in whatever space is allotted is dancing.

She is a mess!

But I Haven't Said Yes to the Christmas Play Yet
Last night before our meeting I had a long talk with Dr. Carl.

We talked about some CDC stuff and then he got to the meat of it - had I decided whether or not to be an elder.

I asked him what he thought made a good elder. He said "you." He gave me a lot of reasons that he thought I would be good - some very personal, but one was so dead on it shocked me...well...stupid. "Part of it is always leading the church in new ways, to do new things, to be better and different and approach the same old things with new eyes and with a desire to inspire growth."

I thought about it and I prayed about it and I said yes. I knew when Molly told me a little over a year ago, "Mommy, I want to go to church at my school" that this was the place I was supposed to be and that this place was going to be dramatically important and integral to my life. So I am watching that happen and develop, and I know that I am not a good enough person to do this. But I also know that none of us are worthy...we just have to try to be.

So mark your calendars, ladies and gents. I will be ordained in January, assuming all goes well between now and then.

sfw

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home