11 August, 2005

Monkeys in the Bed, Retreat, Question of the Day, Dude

Monkeys in the Bed
I woke up this morning with two little monkeys in my bed - and they were getting riled up!

Meggie, who wakes up at the crack of dawn (or earlier, especially on the weekend!) was awake and had climbed in the bed to wake everyone else up and play! She is too young to know that you should just turn on the TV and play quietly until everyone else wakes up. But I digress...so she is standing on the bed, tripping over the pillows and the covers and the occupants, yelling and laughing and having a wonderful time. I was trying to stay asleep, Molly was yelling, "No! Stop it! Make her stop!" And Bob was...sleeping!

When I finally shook off the bizarre dream I was having aside and woke up, I looked around and wondered why there were 2 extra wiggly and loud children in my bed. And I realized that we really are going to have to start locking the door. Or put up an electric fence. Or something.

Retreat
This weekend I am going on a retreat with the class of 2006 of Leadership Rowan. I am really looking forward to it! I only know one person who is going, which kind of makes me nervous, but at the same time, it means there are a whole bunch of people to get to know - potential friends, business associates, sponsors, links to other people in the community.

I am also excited about what I am about to embark on - I love to learn, I love training, I love the whole scene.

Plus, Grandma is keeping the kiddiewinks tonight, and I will be at the retreat Friday and Saturday - three nights of good sleep?!?!

Who knows - I might get smart again with that much rest! And just wait until my blog on Sunday - it's bound to be witty and urbane, not sophomoric and well, crappy.

Question of the Day
What is the most important book you have ever read? What book changed your life? Why? How? Did you know it when you were reading it, or when you finished, or sometime later? What was it about the book that changed your life?

Because I read so much, and I read from the perspective of a writer (wannabe), it's hard to pick one defining book. But I think one for me was Beach Music by Pat Conroy - because I realized several things as I was reading it and after I finished it-
1. Good works of fiction contain elements of both comedy and tragedy - just like real life
2. Good and bad mingle freely within each character - just like real life.
3. If a writer loves a place enough, and mentions it often enough, and ties the characters to it enough, then that place can become a character in the book, just like real life.
4. All fiction is autobiographical fiction

Plus, that book was just damn good!

Dude
So yesterday Carolyn and I were having an email conversation during which she called me dude. When I was rehashing my day after dinner, as I often do, I thought, "Why did she call me dude? That's new!"

So I called her and I said, "Hey, you called me dude. What's up with that?"

And she said that this girl in her cube neighborhood calls everybody dude and says dude all the time and now Carolyn has picked it up.

We laughed, we moved on, we talked about other stuff.

And she proceeded to call me dude no less than 4 more times in the next 20 minutes.

I was laughing so hard I nearly pulled something and Bob just looked at me...he did not get it at all. He thinks we are weird and crazy and basically whack jobs as it is.

Come on, Dude. Get with it.

Well spunky!

sfw
5.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home